A Brief historical study of the Naganathaswamy Temple at Maanampadi in Kumbakonam

Thread started by virarajendra on 9th August 2017 04:03 PM




A Brief historical study of the Naganathaswamy Temple at Maanampaadi near Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district

The Naganathaswamy Temple (former "Thirunagecharam" or "Thirunageswarem") at Maanampaadi is located in-between the present Kumbakonam and Thiruppananthaal main highway (very near to Cholapuram - 12 Km away from Kumbakonam) in Thajavur District. The presiding deity of this Temple was known as "Thiru Vinnagar Thirunageeswarem Udaiya Mahadevar" at ThenKarai Thiraimuurnadu. The village in the present Maanampadi where this Temple exits is known by the name 'Thirunageswaram' even today - தமிழ் சைவ நாயன்மார்களது தேவாரப் பாடல்கள் பெற்ற தலம்.

Pallava Period

The antiquity of this temple is much earlier than the Tamil Saiva Saints Thirunavukkarasar and Thirugnanasampanthar Naayanars of (A.D.568-649) and (A.D.641-657)) as both have composed Tamil Thevaarap Pathikams in praise of this temple in the Tamil Thirumuraikal - 2, 4, 5 and 6. Similerly the Tamil Saiva Saint Suntharamoorthy Naayanaar of (A.D.826-844) too have composed a Tamil Thevaarap Pathikam on this Temple in the Tamil Thirumurai - 7.

Note:
(The above Temple 'should not be confused' with the present Nageswaraswamy Temple (Rahu Thalam) (former "Kudanthai Keel Koattam") of the period of Tamil Saiva Saint Suntharamurthy Naayanar of (A.D.826-844) at the present 7 km east of Kumbakonam city on the Kumbakonam - Nannilam Road, in Thanjavur District, Tamilnadu. The presiding deity was known as "Thirukkeelkottam Udaiyar" at Thirukudamuukkil (Kudanthai or Kumbakonam) in Pambur Nadu of Uyyakondar-valanadu during Chola Period.


Chola Period

This temple has been of burnt-sand stone from the period of Thirunavukkarasar & Thirugnanasambandar during the Pallava rule of Chola Nadu or even earlier, and was first converted into a granite stone temple during the period of Rajaraja Chola - 1 (A.D.985-1016) around A.D.999 . This is confirmed by the 'very fact', the earliest two Inscriptions found inscribed on the 'west wall of the central shrine of this temple presently known as the Naganathaswamy temple of Nageswaram are that of king Rajaraja Chola - 1 both of his 14th year of rule being A.D.999.

In the year A.D.These three Inscriptions which speak of endowments to this temple of 40 and 37 kalanju gold made by Arichikai Piraatiyaar - the queen of Vaanar (Bana) king and daughter of 'Arikulakesari' the Arinchikai (Arinchchaya) Cholan (A.D.956-957) and 'grandmother' of Rajaraja Chola - 1 from the sale of Villages. These two Inscriptions clearly indicates that Arichikai Piraatiyaar lived as far as the period of Rajaraja Chola - 1.

During the period Rajendra Chola - 1 in the year A.D.1042 there had been a systamatic recording of many Jewellery and Temple Ritual Items presented to this temple by many individuals including Chola officers, Rajaraja Chola - 1, Rajendra Chola -1 and one of his queens Udaiya Piraatiyar at various times during the periods of Rajaraja Chola - 1 and Rajendra Chola - 1.









Some Images on Naganathasamy Temple and it's Sculptures prior to dismanling this Temple


https://d22r54gnmuhwmk.cloudfront.ne...x313-noPad.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AunlsrR-48...iva_temple.jpg

https://esivaa.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/dsc01907.jpg

https://esivaa.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/dsc01742.jpg

https://esivaa.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/dsc01920.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xT_MRgKiGJ...manampadi9.jpg

https://esivaa.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/dsc01766.jpg

https://esivaa.files.wordpress.com/2...pg?w=529&h=708

https://esivaa.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/dsc01796.jpg

******************************



Responses:




Want to post a response?

(Hello Guest, you need to login to post a response. Are you a New User? Register first.)