Great! In this age of changing perspectives and new 'liberated' minds a courageous article!!!
I recall a scene in an old film I saw as a kid: T.M.Mathuram with some revolutionary anger toys with the idea of removing her thaali and N.S.K. sings 'thaali peNNukku vEli'. There is profound truth in this line which is not realised by the mewly emancipated womenkind!
I'm used to be being branded asan old-fashioned, orthodox nag!!! Least bothered about it. Not being a sentimental fool to believe fully thaali protects husband's life and other such exaggerated sanctity about thaali I nevertheless am sensible enough to acknowledge the 'extra' significance of thaali which no other ornament shares in giving meaning, dignity and sanction to a couple's standing in society. But alas, the society is fast disintegrating!
I also recall another incident, a bit comic and practical: long ago when we were living in the housing unit quarters ladies of our block assembled on the eve of Margazi 1st to discuss plans for drawing kOlam in front of our block. The young lady across our door related with humour how her husband gave her permission to join the fun but on one condition:'iruttula keeza iRangi kOlam pOdappORathunnaa thaaliyai kazatti vachchittu thaaraaLamaa pOyittu vaa'. Words of wisdom weighing in gold!!!
The fashion of kal mugappu introduced in the small screen serials some years ago is fast catching up!!!(including me! )