Post Thanks / Like
    OK then, let it go
    This is a very big world!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    That too in a conservative state like TN?
    Are we really conservative?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thamiz
    அதாவது, யாமறிந்த தமிழ்நாடு

Things have definitely changed over the last decade. Still, even in the west, I don't think parents are oblivious to the actual workplace of their daughters, unless they are apathetic. That is, in the case of non-Indians. Indians are certainly concerned.

I'd be still surprised that the parents haven't visited at least once their girl's workplace, which is not far-off from where they live!

Post Thanks / Like
    அதாவது, யாமறிந்த தமிழ்நாடு

Things have definitely changed over the last decade. Still, even in the west, I don't think parents are oblivious to the actual workplace of their daughters, unless they are apathetic. That is, in the case of non-Indians. Indians are certainly concerned.

I'd be still surprised that the parents haven't visited at least once their girl's workplace, which is not far-off from where they live!
    I think, people those who grew up in India - brought up in a conservative culture- and visited and settled in a "liberal land" and bringing up their children in the "liberal land" are not able to understand the "culture" we have today in India!

The only conservativeness we still have there is that "arranged marriage" and "matrimony". The most big-mouthed liberal person in India who supports premarital sex and extramarital affairs will also settle for an arranged marriage -dumping the one with whom he/she slept with!

Yeah, they are liberal because they want to have sex before marriage But they are conservative too because they wont mind dumping the person with whom they slept with and doing an arranged marriage for satisfying their parents! This is the kind of "liberalness/conservativeness" I see now in India especially from the young open-minded people!

Post Thanks / Like
    thamiz,
    As I said in my post, I'm not even talking about Indians in the west.

I have 2 veLLaikkArikaL in our team and both have teenage daughters. Since we often have to sit in the same team room, I'm forced to hear their deep concern / discussions for their daughters (whether they'll shock them with some pregnancy news, need to take them to this game, that show, what college course will they take, which city they'll live, getting a dormitory where boys cannot sleep-in etc, all the time).

Normal parents have concern about their children (especially grown-up / unmarried daughters) in all the "cultures".

The cultureless, ofcourse, do not care

Post Thanks / Like
    thamiz,
    As I said in my post, I'm not even talking about Indians in the west.

I have 2 veLLaikkArikaL in our team and both have teenage daughters. Since we often have to sit in the same team room, I'm forced to hear their deep concern / discussions for their daughters (whether they'll shock them with some pregnancy news, need to take them to this game, that show, what college course will they take, which city they'll live, getting a dormitory where boys cannot sleep-in etc, all the time).

Normal parents have concern about their children (especially grown-up / unmarried daughters) in all the "cultures".

The cultureless, ofcourse, do not care
    Again, you certainly are talking about the parents who are upper-middle class or not?

What about the poor hispanic and black community?

You think they think just like your colleague? They just wan tto make their living somehow. I think that is what happening with our "middle class" liberal indians today. Money ! That is all they care!

Post Thanks / Like
    And, as I mentioned in a couple of posts in "last song" thread of TF forum, here is definitely a liberal land. (I wrote there about my 17 yr old's school play where he had a lip-kiss, some eye-to-eye looking dance etc on stage with a 18 yr old beauty).

Still, there's always widespread concern / stress about curfew. Also, in every social gathering I attend with locals here, you should see the passion with which they discuss about the under-age-drinking problem (which many in TN no longer seem to care).

Ofcourse, majority do not care about spending for children's college (expensive and children are made to work / take loans rather than parents spending, which is opposite to the Indian way). At the same time, I see total anguish, rallying to support etc, almost in every case, of a child who becomes an unwed mother!

Post Thanks / Like
    75% of my social associations are with these people. They are always as much concerned about children as us, in my observation

Post Thanks / Like
    a-e: People buy vote and win today in TN! It does not happen anywhere but in our great TN or India. We are progressing much faster than america!

Post Thanks / Like
    75% of my social associations are with these people. They are always as much concerned about children as us, in my observation
    I am really talking about real poor class here, a-q

Page 49 of 88 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast